Wednesday 24 March 2010

Work is so Passe

Two weeks ago I quit my job. I decided it wasn't the right fit for me and so I moved on.

Everything so far has been great. My friends are jealous that I don't have to wake up and rush into the office. I feel so much more relaxed and I'm happier right now than I have been in the past 3 years. But, there is one problem. The delicate social problem that I am dealing with is this:

How do you answer the question "What do you do? and keep your self-esteem?

'Unemployed' sounds so negative
'Looking for work' sounds so desperate
'In transition' sounds so lost

and I am none of the above. From now on, the answer is clear.

'At the moment, I'm economically inactive.'

Suddenly it is the thing to be. Last week the British government reported that there are 8.16 million 'economically inactives' easily outstripping the 2.45 million in the UK who are unemployed.

So what is the definition of 'economically inactive?' Basically it's people who are not working or actively looking for work.

You would think one would be ashamed to be not working. But my ancestors are Greek and I take pride in my Greek heritage. After all it was Aristotle who believed leisure was the highest pursuit in life. According to Aristotle: 'Leisure is the end towards which all action is directed.' In ancient Greece it was perfectly acceptable to devote yourself to thoughts, literature, music, art, and science.

Obsession with work is a modern idea and one that I have never really accepted. So it seems the Greek way may be catching on. Monday afternoon at 2pm I decided to take myself to a movie and the theatre was packed. Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 I met up with an 'economically inactive' friend for a late lunch at a nearby cafe and we had to wait to get a seat. One woman sitting behind me at the movie theatre turned to her friend and said, 'Doesn't anyone work anymore?'

So from now on I will be wearing my economic inactivity with pride. Yes, I may soon be as poor as a church mouse that invested in Lehman Brothers, but I do comfort myself with one thought: Aristotle would have been proud.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you, Christos! There is nothing wrong with doing a little soul-searching, especially if you weren't happy with your job. Hey, if you're ever back in the states, don't forget to let everyone know, ok. Try to take advantage of your time off and enjoy yourself, buddy. Good luck with everything.

    Your friend,

    Pete Lupo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am happy that you are happy! I love your freedom and how you get inspiration from the world around you. You are the most courageous person I know. (But the mom in me is still hoping that you can feel this way and find a job you love!) But for now, enjoy yourself and tell me everything. You know I live through you :) New experiences, new places, new people. My soul breathes when I think of you!!

    Anti

    ReplyDelete
  3. my darling christos,

    i loved reading your blog, i think you should write about your adventures everyday to remind us all that there is a big world outside of work!

    we all get caught up in the rat race and forget that happiness isn't about money or status. i'm proud of you for doing what's right for you... don't ever change my darling!

    love you lots
    a xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this Christos! Even Socrates did not work! He believed the best way for people to live was to focus on self-development ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved what you had to say, Christos! People apologize for having leisure time and taking time away from work. Why? We weren't designed to work nonstop. Good for you! I can't wait to come visit you one of these days so we can wait for a table at a restaurant while the economically inactive folks take their time finishing up. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christos after reading your blogg i know that you are a writer.you must write a book

    ReplyDelete